Round 2 will open on 2nd July 2018.
Workplace Equality Fund 2018/19
Voluntary Action Fund (VAF) manages the Workplace Equality Fund (WEF) on behalf of the Scottish Government.
The aim of the £750,000 Fund is to support private businesses in reducing employment inequalities, discrimination and barriers in the workplace. The minimum grant amount is £5,000, and the maximum grant available is £50,000. To be eligible applicants should be a private business or a third sector organisation with concrete plans to work with private business to reduce employment inequality.
The funding will support employers in reducing employment inequalities, discrimination and barriers particularly across the arts, culture, leisure, tourism, finance, manufacturing, construction, agriculture and fishing, transport and communication and STEM sectors.
This fund will have two rounds - round 1 has now closed and funding has been awarded to successful organisations.
Round 2 will open for applications on Monday 2nd July and will close on 30th August 2018. Funded projects in round 2 will be delivered between October 2018 and June 2019, by which time all activities should be concluded and all grant money spent.
- Employment opportunities and progression in the workplace are improved for participant groups and consideration is given to how this can be embedded into the workplace to ensure lasting change
- Knowledge, skills, policies and practices are improved in order to address employment inequalities, discrimination and barriers/challenges within the workplace
- A more inclusive working environment is created through employees and employers working in partnership
These policy documents should provide useful background information for applicants.
It would be particularly useful to read through the Fair Work Framework, as this will provide some context to the fund. Please refer to the policy documents relating to the participant group or groups you propose working with.
Programme for Government
Fair Work Framework
Race Equality Framework
Disability Delivery Action Plan
Fairer Scotland Action Plan
Scotland’s Labour Market Strategy
Older People and Employment
Addressing Race Inequality: The Way Forward
Funding Criteria & Eligibility
For more information on key criteria and eligibility, who can apply, what the funding levels are and what the funding can be used for, please refer to our Promotional Flyer.
For an idea of eligible projects please take a look at the Round 1 Funded Projects list.
The fund is open to applications from:
- Any private business currently operating in Scotland
- Any third sector organisation, currently with a base in Scotland, that has agreement in place, prior to application, to work with a specific private business
Successful organisations for round 2 must not start their project before receipt of their funding award. The receipt of funding will be mid Oct 2018 and projects must be completed and all funding spent by 30th June 2019.
There are four participant groups that this fund is targeting. Applications must focus on one or more of these groups.
- Minority ethnic people
- Disabled people
- Older workers (those aged over 50 yrs)
For Round 2, VAF would particularly welcome applications that focus on minority ethnic people or disabled people.
The fund will only consider applications where the majority of activity takes place with the private business.
Applicants must ensure they do not partner with organisations who already receive Scottish Government funding to deliver activities for which they are applying, e.g. a training provider.
- Staffing costs relating to the delivery of the project
- Training costs
- Travel expenses
- Capital costs up to 25% of the total. All other avenues must have been explored e.g. DWP access to work. Applicants will be expected to evidence the difference the capital expenditure has made to target group(s) in reporting
- Overheads up to 15% of total budget
- Trustees’ expenses
- Capital projects (for example, purchase of buildings, vehicles, building works and refurbishment or ICT infrastructure)
- Attendance at non-outcome related conferences (either UK or international)
- Projects that do not benefit one or more of the participant groups listed above
- The advancement of religion or politics (including requests to support the core activities of religious or political groups)
- Trips abroad
- The repayment of loans or payments of debts
Funding Rounds & Timescales
8th February 2018 funding round 1 opens for applications
29th March 2018 round 1 closes to applications at 12 noon
2nd July 2018 funding round 2 opens for applications
30th August 2018 round 2 closes to applications at 12 noon
Round 2 funded projects will be delivered between mid October 2018 and June 2019, by which time all activities should be concluded and all grant money spent.
How to apply
Applicants should follow the link to the online application form. This link will be live on 2nd July.
It is advisable to use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox as your internet browser when completing your online application. During testing, Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge were much slower when downloading and uploading essential documents.
Further Information & Enquiries
Please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions here. If you have any queries about the Fund, would like clarification on how to complete the application form, or wish to discuss your project proposal with one of our staff, please contact VAF on 01383 620780 or email@example.com.