The Volunteering Support Fund
Grants of between £7,500 and £10,000 are now available to small to medium-sized not-for-profit organisations (with an annual income of under £250,000) working in Scotland.
The Volunteering Support Fund supports organisations to recruit additional volunteers (who will contribute towards delivering a new volunteering project, or extending/expanding an existing one) and improve how volunteers are supported in their role.
Successful applicants will be expected to contribute towards the following outcomes during the 8 month funding period:
- Increasing the diversity of the third sector’s volunteer pool, especially to include those who experience disadvantage or would traditionally experience barriers to volunteering;
- Improving opportunities for skills and personal development through volunteering;
- Improving the third sector’s capacity to support, train and deploy volunteers; and
- Enhancing the services organisations deliver to better meet the needs of the communities they serve.
Who can apply?
- Third sector organisations with an annual income of under £250,000. Organisations do not need to be registered charities, although their constitution or set of rules should make clear that funds will only be spent on purposes established in the constitution, and not distributed amongst members;
- Organisations that have never applied to the Volunteering Support Fund before, or that received a grant during 2016-17 but not during the previous year 2015-2016 (ie over two consecutive years).
- Organisations that are able to start their project within 10 days of being awarded funding.
The deadline for applications is 5pm on Fri 14 July 2017 and the period of the grant will be from 1 Aug 2017 to 30 March 2018.
Volunteering Support Fund is funded by the Scottish Government, which has committed a total of £530K to improve support for volunteers, and is managed on its behalf by Voluntary Action Fund. In its previous four rounds (2013-17) 425 organisations benefitted from the Volunteering Support Fund, resulting in improved support for thousands of volunteers, more than half of whom had experienced disadvantage.
If you have any queries about the fund, please contact our Volunteering Support Fund Team at VSFenquiries@vaf.org.uk or 01383 620780.
You can find out which organisations were funded during 2017-18 here.
Watch our short video of some of their volunteers in action...
VSG Volunteers in Action Autumn 2016 by Slidely Slideshow